Monday, March 30, 2009

Eating Organic

Often times I have people ask me about couponing, which I love! I have really grown in my confidence in using coupons and not paying full price for certain products now. Our income is hard earned and I have a hard time parting with it unless we need to - so, saving hard earned money is worth it! Plus, there are better things in life I'd like to spend our money on.

However, some folks have this perception that coupons are just for junk food or better yet... 'stuff we don't use'. That one kind of makes me smirk simply because I take it as an excuse to not take the time to coupon.

Coupons exist for just about anything and I mean anything. Personal goods we all use- toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, feminine products, diapers, lotions, soap, toothpaste, dish soap, etc.... You can find coupons for your favorite shopping mall stores - Old Navy, Gymboree, JC Penny, Macy's, The Gap, Carters, etc... Toys galore - individual brands, Toys R Us, Target, etc... And of course - foods.

You can find coupons for just about any kind of food you desire - including organic food. If you are eating organic foods then your grocery bill is probably higher than the average household. A higher grocery bill to me justifies seeking out coupons to offset the cost of quality food - meaning I would work harder to find more coupons than normal.

Organic companies DO offer coupons, and usually pretty decent ones. You might have to search a bit harder but you can find them. Here are some basics to get you started in your organic search - these are ones I use all the time.

Organic Valley - They typically have $1.00 off coupons for milk, soy milk, cheese of all kinds, butter, sour cream and cottage cheese. This is a reset coupon, meaning available all the time. It prints for just a couple week expiration date so you can rotate this into your shopping experience frequently.

Earthbound Farm - They will send our email newsletters along with possible online coupons. As well, they send a hard copy newsletter with wonderful information every couple months. My newsletters have always had nice valued coupons for fresh produce. In fact, my fridge is currently stocked with organic produce all purchased using their coupons.

Muir Glen - This company is often a very easy coupon to find online. I simply google Muir Glen and often find several I can print. Their coupons are almost always for $1.00 off of one product. I stock up on organic fire roasted diced tomatoes a lot. I use them in cooking a couple times a week, easily. When you take this coupon to Walmart you can get organic canned tomatoes for .24 cents a can. They also carry organic pasta sauce which is very nice.

Cascadian Farms - This company is a diverse organic company. You can buy anything from cereal to granola bars, frozen fruits to frozen vegetables, frozen juice to fruit spreads. And, they have good product. Again finding a coupon for them is usually not tough. If you can't find one through their immediate site, google them. I always have coupons from Cascadian Farms in my coupon box - always! They are usually $1.00 off coupons on any one product and Fred Meyers has them on sale a lot.

Wild Harvest - This is Albertson's organic line of just about anything you can imagine! Their website always has a coupon you can print for $1.00 off - any product. I typically use this when their canned beans are on sale for $1.00 and get free beans.

O Organic - Safeway has their own line of organic products as well. If you use their printed coupon site you will often find fresh meats like chicken on coupon (and on sale) and produce, etc... Check these coupons weekly as they change often.

More:
Mambo Sprouts
Stony Fields
Kashi
Barbara's
Dreamfield's Pasta
Earth's Best
Horizon
Imagine Foods
Annie's

3 comments:

  1. Hey Liberty!
    I just want to say I really enjoy your blog! I wanted to ask you, do you ever have a problem printing coupons? Or, printing and then they don't work? I printed a coupon for Build A Bear and when I got there they told me it was already redeemed?????
    Just wanted a little advice from the expert! : )
    ~jen~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    I have not had any problems like that one before, what a bummer!!! What is really bad is that Build A Bear is typically pretty easy going about that stuff :(

    Once in a blue moon I do have a problem with a brick coupon where it asks me to install the software, when I know it is already on my system. But, I usually find a different site that will post a link that is for IE or Firefox, etc (different browsers). And, when I use their IE link it works fine.

    I am sorry that happened!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liberty...I do have to say, Build A Bear was wonderful to me and found another coupon they had and let me us that! And to top it off, I purchsed 3 items and paid for them all seperately so I could use a coupon for each!

    ReplyDelete